Saturday, February 17, 2007

Noel & Beast: The Fertility Festival

Warning: Some pictures are kid unsafe. Thought I be nice and warn before hand.

After Thor had dropped us off in Komaki, Japan, we were shocked at what we seen. Every where we turned we seen people dressed up in costumes:

Masks:







Then we seen this:



We had no idea what was going on, so we just decided to look for the Tagata Jinja temple.



It did take long to find it and once we did we got some answers as to what is going on around here. Apparently it is the annual Fertility Festival. That would explain a lot. It would also explain why this temple is filled with sculptures of certain male body parts.



All I can say is wow.

We get to our roadblock and find out one of us has to hold a prayer ceremony using an original prayer. I volunteer to do this one, I'm good at public speaking.

I decided to write a small prayer dealing with the whole fertility issue. I jot down a few notes, dress up in the traditional priest robes, including mask and step out in front of the crowd.



And I start my prayer.


On your bed at night, you sought the one your hearts ached for; you sought, but did not find, that one.
How lovely the child would be, so you imagine, how lovely!
Every part of your child would be fair; no blemish would mar it’s coming.
Who is the one that shines through like the dawn,
Beautiful as the moon,
radiant as the sun,
awesome as hosts draped in their colors?
Who is the one that your hearts wait for, wait for, as the watchman for the morning light?
In You, God, our ancestors trusted,
In You they trusted, and You answered them.
Trust in God, for God's goodness is never-ending; God's mercy is without bounds.
Trust in God, for God is our help and our shield.
May the God who made heaven and earth, hear your plea and grant you a child.


The crowd cheers and applauds yelling out words in their native language. The man next to me nods and gives me the paper holding our Detour instructions.

Hank and I decided to do the shrine. Seems easy enough and I already have an idea, the hard part is going to find a place to set it up. As we search for a spot we run straight in the heart of the festival.

This man just seems to happy to me. I wonder....



So does this lady.



And what in the world are these two doing?



And we see this guy again.





A man was selling these on the street. I did buy one, going to have fun later tonight teasing Hank..... hehehe.



We finally find a small section of land and start to build.

Here's our fertility shrine, completed.



I just know we will be blessed. I mean these sculptures are know as the symbol of fertility. So why won't we.

While we wait to be blessed the parade starts:









These are only a few floats in the parade.

Shortly after the parade is done, the head Shinto Priest makes his rounds and we were blessed. Now on to the Pit stop...... and to an exciting night with Hank.


hehehe.

6 Comments:

Blogger Paula Abdrool said...

After reading your adventure I have the strangest craving for a lollipop. Rainbow flavored.

9:17 AM  
Blogger A Army Of (Cl)One said...

Come to think of it Paula, You have been tasting the rainbow latley.


All I can say was that was a lot of wood.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Simon said...

Who would have thought that Noel would be the only one to truely embrace the subject matter. I would have bet good money that you belonged to the Wisconsin chapter of Prudes United, but this has shown me my error.

Good Job

3:01 PM  
Blogger A Army Of (Cl)One said...

Yeah I haven't seen that many dicks since Simon went in a House of Mirrors.

;P

5:51 PM  
Blogger Gyrobo said...

The guys in the third picture from the bottom are wearing shirts that look like bricks.

That ain't right.

8:31 PM  
Blogger A Army Of (Cl)One said...

Don't worry Gyrobo, they are all just another Prick in the wall.

2:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home