Thursday, January 04, 2007

Moody Blues

“Alright then, is everyone ready? Good luck racers. Ready . . set . . GO!”

And we're off.

Several teams have yelled out "Empire State Building" and Mystique says something about remembering it being built. I try not to dwell on that as I start to wonder about the best way to get there fast.

Before I even have a chance to wonder about it Mystique turns into an incredibly beautiful, scantily clad woman. Immediately four cabs screech to a halt in front of us. Turning a sultry eye on the cabbies, Mystique asks

"Who wants to take us to the Empire State Building free of charge?"

All the cabbies scramble over each other in an attempt to get to her first. I begin to realize just how handy Mystique is going to be as a partner.

We get into the first cab and the cabbie can barely drive the car since he's trying to look into the mirror at Mystique at the same time. Mystique leans up to cabbie and whispers in his ear.

"If you want a tip, you better get us there in one piece. Otherwise, I may have to kill you."

The cab driver’s attention immediately turns back to the road.

We arrive at the Empire State Building and Mystique has a hushed conversation with the driver. He looks a little pale as they drive away and I wonder what kind of “tip” she gave him.

I look up and begin to ponder the problem of how to get to the top when Mystique takes charge again. She morphs into an exact replica of Archangel.

“Be back in a jiff” she says as she takes flight.

I begin to wonder if I even needed to show up.

Within minutes she’s back down and back to her regular self.

“We need to go to the Mall of America.”

“Should we go to the airport or can you turn into a plane?” I ask wryly.

She gives me a withering look and I shut up.

“Eric owes me a favor, I think now would be a good time to collect.”

She opens up her cell phone (I have no idea where she keeps the thing) and calls Magneto.
Apparently he has a place close by because before too long a helicopter shows up with Eric at the controls. I didn’t know he knew how to fly a helicopter.

He lands the bird and does a double take when he sees us, “There are two of you?”

Mystique shrugs, “She might be one of my kids for all I know.”

Eric stares at me, “I guess so..........”

We climb into the helicopter and I wonder about what Mystique just said. I am adopted so who knows, we might be related. I should probably not worry about this right now though.

The Mall of America is a ways away but we make good time. Mystique gives Eric a fairly thorough goodbye as I try not to look.

What have I gotten myself into?

We arrive at the detour station and quickly decide to do the Build-A-Bear challenge. We happen to be there at the same time as Cyclops and Warbird and I try not to stare at the bears Scott has put together.

Mystique just kind of looks at the Bears as if they are a complete mystery and I realize that I actually have a chance to participate in the race.

Before she can make a completely deranged looking bear I guide her through the process and help her pick out the outfits.


“Why would a kid want some stupid bear that’s dressed up like a ballerina?” She asks.

I tell her it’s they mystery of the non-mutant brain and to just trust me. She looks like she thinks that’s a really bad idea but surprisingly she goes along with it. We present our bears to the kids and actually make it through the first time.

Since Eric has already left we opt for another cab ride. Mystique does her morph-into-a-gorgeous-woman trick and we’re out of there in no time.

And before I know it, we’re within 100 yards of the Raddison Hotel hoping that we’re one of the first to arrive....

13 Comments:

Blogger SQT said...

I just went back and looked at my email and it didn't say anything about 'no outside assistance.' I looked on the blog post here stating the rules and it's been added in.

I wonder if we can get a pass for the first leg since it was an addendum to the original rules. I looked at my email carefully before writing my post so I wouldn't break any rules, and ended up breaking some anyway. So what do we do about that?

9:27 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

I'm seein' double!

And I likey!

You go girls.

9:53 PM  
Blogger captain koma said...

I like the whole ridin cabs for free.

Hmm I wonder if I can tweak with Caliban's holo-projector.

Oh carp!

Fury!

This is going to get bad.

Koma

10:42 PM  
Blogger Gyrobo said...

Superb use of mutant ability! Five stars.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Professor Xavier said...

Simon is a tough judge but I'm sure he won't hold it against anyone this week. Besides, no "outside assistance" is a very vague term. It's better that way so the judges have more discretion in which to hide their biases.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Professor Xavier said...

And as long as Mystique keeps doing that bikini thing, I don't think you'll have a problem. Simon likes 'em trashy.

6:06 AM  
Blogger SQT said...

I'll make sure there's lots of scantily clad Mystique to go around. :)

11:08 AM  
Blogger Magdalena said...

I didnt see outside assistence wink wink

1:11 PM  
Blogger Simon said...

I certainly do, but all in good taste of course.

My dears, I must tell you, aside from the bikini, this was all rather tepid and boring.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Simon said...

I certainly do, but all in good taste of course.

My dears, I must tell you, aside from the bikini, this was all rather tepid and boring.

1:59 PM  
Blogger SQT said...

Are you sure your last name isn't Cowell?

2:10 PM  
Blogger SQT said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Paula Abdrool said...

You probably shined most tonight. This is your element. Wear that hat proud!

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home